1. The time of God has come again, and God has sent the Spirit of Mizu down from heaven to reveal the true state of the three worlds, material, obscure and Divine.
2. The earthly world is a Divine realm; it will be united and ruled by a Divine King.
3. Possessing this person, examined in heaven, God will make things known in writing.
4. Although Onisaburo writes, it is not Onisaburo who is writing. It is God who writes, using Onisaburo’s hand.
5. All the words written and spoken by Onisaburo are eternal, because they all come from God.
6. Onisaburo is the one who judges the powers of the gods; one who can transfer any power to all who come with a true heart.
7. This is the soul sent from Heaven to reconstruct the way, for this world has become too evil. Onisaburo is the true Divine envoy to make manifest Divine truth.
8. Because Onisaburo was born in a poor home and the world was dark, all have despised him and not one has listened. But the time is already at hand. Many will they be who tremble in dismay. Therefore change your hearts before all else.
9. Many are the good people to be found among the poor, and many are the evil people to be found among the rich. Such is the present world.
10. Those who are just and compassionate are regarded as foolish. Such is the darkness of the present world.
11. Adored are those who make themselves look imposing in their beautifully finery, even bought with money unjustly gained. So topsy-turvy is the present world.
12. People bow their heads before the rich, and totally ignore the poor.
13. If this world is left in the present state, the people will without exception become demons and will begin to devour one another.
14. Even at the present time parent devours child and child devours parent; family and kin regard one another with hatred.
15. In the sight of God, all people in the world are His beloved sons and daughters. To the people, they are all brothers and sisters.
16. Quarrelling between siblings is an act of unfaithfulness to one’s parents. Those who give their parents worry will surely be repaid with worry.
17. In the wide world as seen through the eyes of this person (see Paragraph 34), there are not even a handful of true human beings.
18. The present missionaries in the world all seem magnificent on the surface; yet there is not one who satisfies the heart of God.
19. There are many intellectuals and learned people, but an intellectual who knows the truth, a learned person who recognises the teaching of God, such are not to be found.
20. No one can accomplish the true missionary task by human intellect and learning. To every one who can believe in God and practise the teaching, God will secretly give every power.
21. Those who assert that there is no God in the world will of themselves fall into the world of beasts.
22. Appeal to the Spirit of Mizu (see paragraphs 63, 111, 112, 115, 150, 240): if your faith reaches, the Spirit will remove your illness, whatever it may be. God will secretly go with you and assist you with Divine power.
23. To one whom Onisaburo entrusts with the missionary work God will grant favour, the same as to the Spirit of Mizu. From the missionary who is proud God will withdraw Divine power, and he will be shown to the world as a bad example.
24. The soul of Onisaburo is the Divine spirit’s own dwelling-place, and therefore he is called the Spirit of Mizu or Mizu-no-mitama. That which he judges to be good is good, and that which he judges to be evil is evil. It is wise, therefore, to observe the word of God.
25. God does not have his own voice and body. Therefore God makes all things known possessing the body of a pure soul.
26. A person with a good heart is at the disposal of a good god , and a person with an evil heart is at the disposal of an evil god. Polish your soul, therefore, and make it crystal pure; if you do not, you will not be able to receive God’s favour.
27. Accumulated evil will in the end send a person down into hell.
28. Having fallen into hell, he will have to suffer long as punishment. Most important, therefore, is to change one’s heart.
29. Although many divine messengers are to be found here and there, they are all forerunners and do not understand the truth.
30. The present churches are almost without exception exploiting God. To be pitied are they! Soon they will receive their recompense: they will be burned in the fire of hell. How disastrous!
31. God bound Onisaburo to Himself in preparation when Onisaburo was twelve years old. When he was twenty-seven years old, God began to use him for the holy cause.
32. Women are most suitable as missionaries of this way. Although they may be good, men tend to be persistent in their opinions, and there is the possibility of failing and profaning God’s way.
33. There are now two parties but in the future they will unite, according to God’s plan. The members of the two parties are polishing each other’s souls. Among enemies there are friends, and among friends there are enemies.
34. Favoured with Divine power, this person will save the world. This is Onisaburo’s mission. He is the only Saniwa in the world. The role of Saniwa is to distinguish good from evil, justice from injustice.
- Note: On Saniwa see the explanation ‘about kamigakari’, p. vii.
35. Onisaburo’s soul is a soul used by God, which is why God has caused him various sufferings from the time of his youth.
36. This person’s ears were admired as ‘devilish’ (extraordinarily acute) because God was always secretly protecting him and giving him all help. Onisaburo always replied correctly to any question, because God was secretly aiding him. With God’s help, all is possible.
37. The Spirit of Mizu is a boat of salvation not only for this world but also for other worlds. Anyone who entrusts all to Onisaburo will be led to the Divine realm without capsizing.
38. But be aware, for there are also ships which deceive the eyes of people with their resplendent appearance. Once you have realised this, change boats as soon as possible, so that you do not become the prey of sharks.
39. Even devils respect God. Respect alone is not faith.
40. To come close to God with respect and humility, this is the secret of the way to serve the true God.
41. The person who only says ‘how wonderful, how blessed am I!’ without practising God’s teachings is committing a sin in his heart. Faith without practice even gives rise to fear of God.
42. The person who regrets the fact that his life has become more difficult since he began to believe becomes a sinner against God. Wrongly does he complain to God: while yet greater harm was to come to him, God saved him, turning great difficulties into small ones. Although ignorant of this, he is worthy of punishment in God’s eyes.
43. The person who immediately complains to God when misfortune comes to his family is a true wrongdoer.
44. In such an event, may all resolutely lean on God, purifying their souls all the more. The heart of God is full of the desire to save all people in the world, for every one of them is a child of God.
45. Choose the ship of the Divine teaching. Avoid the ship of human coaxing and do not repeat sins in defiance of God.
46. Hold always to your faith with a heart unchanging like the evergreen pine, and your soul will be saved.
47. There is no one who does not appeal to God when storms or earthquakes rage. Hold to your faith always with this spirit.
48. Constant faith accumulates and becomes a ship of salvation at times of crisis.
49. Practise in spite of old age, for boundless is the Divine way. Approach the Divine realm with as fast a step as possible.
50. Such is God’s way: it can seem far when it is actually near, or it can seem near when it is really far.
51. What you have once sworn to God do not fail to practise. The one who fulfils his promise God will reward ten thousandfold.
52. But he who, having sworn to build a temple or a hall in thanks for his recovery from sickness, changes his heart along the way, will meet with ten thousandfold misfortune. Taken away will be even his house, his property and his life.
53. Everything in this world is created by God. There is therefore nothing that belongs to human beings.
54. A church is a lamp, this person is a wick, other missionaries are oil and the light produced is Divine virtue.
55. The light of the oil will illuminate every corner of this dark world.
56. Those who believe with a true heart are also the light of an oil lamp.
57. If you wish to serve God, pray that nobody will find out your good deeds. Advertising the names of those who make offerings is not a practice in accordance with God’s heart.
58. Even if you have saved one sufferer, never boast about it before others. When a person finds this out, you are already rewarded.
59. He who carries out virtue away from the sight of people is rewarded by God, for God is watching. God’s reward is ten thousandfold, the reward of people is only that of which people are capable.
60. If you are reviled, mocked and hindered because of your faith, you are being tested by God. This is the beginning of Divine favour.
61. The soul of a certain person was sinful, but the sin was forgiven thanks to his faith. From now on God will secretly give this person the power to become a true missionary. He will immediately change.
62. If the true God allows it, any soul will improve, however sinful. Strive therefore to serve people and the world with all your power. God will go with you and will make you achieve heroic deeds without compare.
63. Onisaburo’s soul is the Spirit of Mizu and his body is a holy dwelling-place of God. He is a saviour of the world.
64. To the person who accepts the words of the saviour as the truth and relies upon him, God will give every power and will make him a treasure of this world.
65. This person is innately compassionate. Know that those who are compassionate are pleasing to God.
66. One who is disliked by God will never succeed in any affair.
67. To the person who is humble before others God gives high virtue; the person who is proud and presumptuous God makes fall to the valley bottom.
68. It is hard to regain virtue once let go of: may all practise their faith with care.
69. The present world is become too evil, and there are only proud people who cannot understand God’s words; almost all ignore the words of God.
70. He who treats God with disdain will immediately suffer in his heart. Be not proud.
71. The missionary who distinguishes between believers, who gives the front seats to frequent visitors and the place of honour to the rich, while giving the back seats to first-time visitors and the lower place to the poor, is not in accord with God’s heart. Be careful!
72. Let executives take the lower place and give the higher place to the believers, so that they may be as close as possible to God.
73. The missionary who scowls when a believer’s visits grow infrequent is not in accord with God’s heart.
74. Those who despise a missionary dishonour God, for a missionary is one who is in God’s place. Believers should never forget this. God will surely bring this to your attention.
75. Many human beings in the present age assert that there is no God in this world, but if God did not care for it, this world would become truly dark.
76. When the heart is clouded, God does not appear there. When the sky is clouded over, the sun and moon are not apparent to human eyes.
77. He who says of himself that he believes has not achieved true faith. He who is always silent acquires the treasure that shines even at night.
78. He who regards another as without value will receive his recompense without fail.
79. God does not think well of the belief of one who wavers, going to the west if the wind blows from the east, or to the east if the wind blows from the west. God rejoices in the belief of an unmoving heart.
80. God made this person write through the night of the ninth day of the fourth month in the 37th year of Meiji (1904). Because the teachings here written are all the teachings of God, may all observe them, repent of their sins, correct their behaviour and receive high Divine virtue.
Written on the 9th day of the 4th month (according to the lunar calendar) in the 37th year of Meiji (1904).